Baby Mauldin- Week 8 Ultrasound

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Baby Mauldin is already a testy one!

Well, we tried to find out the sex on January 14th, but it didn't work out.  Our doctor did the ultrasound, which started out with a great full body view of the baby.  It looked so cute! We could see all the different parts and it looked like a real baby, no longer a peanut.  We liked its nose.  The doctor found the heart and we could see it beating, as well as the four individual ventricles.  He found the aorta and showed us how it all connected.  He found both hands and feet and we saw individual fingers and toes.  However, we were unable to see one significant part.  Hmmm...  the doctor found the umbilical cord which positioned itself right between the legs.   Then, sometimes, out of some sort of act of modesty, the baby would place its hand right between its legs.  The baby was even spread-eagle, but the doctor just couldn't see defining parts for sure to determine boy or girl and he said that even though he didn't see a you-know-what, he couldn't declare it a girl.  So, we go back beginning of February to find out.

It's fun to hypothesize about why the baby wouldn't reveal itself.  However, all in all we weren't that upset.  It was just amazing to see it so clearly and to know that our baby is healthy!  My blood tests that have been done along the way have also come back fine, so we are very thankful.  I am also feeling great!  I'm still able to run a good bit, although I usually have to find a pit-stop somewhere 20 minutes in, even if I've just gone to the bathroom before I start.  I feel the baby kick A LOT! Jared has felt it a couple of times.  We are just starting to do a few things in the baby's room. I will post some pictures along the way so that you all can see what the baby's habitat will be like.

We've been busy with a weekend trip to Kirkwood, a ski resort near Lake Tahoe.  Jared skied and I was able to relax with some girlfriends one day and then sit in the sun at the resort the next.  It was a beautiful place and very relaxing.  I've also been busy with work and will start my normal part-time schedule next week!  Jared is doing well in school again and is starting to work on his thesis!!!  We can't believe that is beginning.  My sister, Natalie, her husband, Jonathan, and their baby, Sydney came to visit this week. It has been so fun to have them here.  Whenever we have company I'm reminded what a wonderful place we live in because I get to show them all around.  I'm looking forward to being a stay-at-home mom and getting to take the baby on walks around the various amazing places to walk in the area.  Sydney is a beautiful baby and is doing well.  I've been able to feed her a few times this week and hold her.  She's fun to try to entertain and has an amazing smile.  She has what my mom calls "tiny words" that she says- las and his and can get very vocal sometimes.

Bernie has had an interesting week, trying to figure out what Sydney is.  She's never been around tiny babies much, mostly older kids (2 and up).  She just wants to lick and sniff Sydney, but we've had to restrain her.  She has adjusted well and will even curl up near their travel swing. She's interested in what they do with her when they feed her and change her diaper. I think she's going to be a great big sister! Speaking of Bernie, tomorrow is her 3rd birthday- Happy Birthday, Bernie!!!  She gets 3 decorated dog cookies from the Diggidy Dog shop in Carmel- one is a pizza slice, one a fire hydrant, and one a cake.  Man, how time flies.  And, speaking of time, we celebrated our 4th anniversary yesterday.  We had pizza last night with Dan, Natalie, Jonathan, and Sydney and I made a cheesecake.  It was really nice. This weekend Jared and I are going to go eat at the Monterey Fish House!  I am so thankful and proud to be married to Jared.  He is an AMAZING husband!  Thank you God, for him.  He is going to be a wonderful father too.

I plan to post more pictures this weekend.  Expect a few belly pics!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment